Curriculum (very essential...)
Associate Professor at the University of Pavia (Italy) (ING-INF 05).
- Ph.D. (1999) in Electronic and Computer Engineering, obtained from the University of Pavia (Italy). Final exam taken on December 15th, 1999, with a thesis entitled Testing New Constructs and Application Domains for Visual Programming Languages, with Special Reference to the Data-Flow Class; supervisor: Prof. Virginio Cantoni.
- MS Degree (1996) in Electronic Engineering (with specialization in Computer Science), obtained from the Politechnic of Milan (Italy) on June 18th, 1996, with a thesis entitled Sistema di interazione multimediale per robot mobile basato sulla metodologia CPP-TRS (Mobile robot multimedia interaction system based on CPP-TRS methodology); supervisor: Prof. Marco Somalvico.
- Italian Professorship Qualificaton (Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale) (2013): associate professor.
- Engineering profession (1997): state exam taken in January 1997 at the Politechnic of Milan.
Past Positions and Research Fundings
- University of Pavia (2010): assistant professor from 29 December 2010 to 14 November 2014.
- University of Pavia (2009): 17-month research grant within the European Project LivingKnowledge (project no. 231126, FP7-ICT-2007-3).
- University of Pavia (2006): three-year research grant from the Italian FIRB project RBIN043TKY, Infrastrutture e piattaforme real-time per ambienti di ricerca e e-learning collaborativo (Software and Communication Platforms for High-Performance Collaborative Grid).
- University of Pavia (2000): three-year research grant ("assegno di ricerca", 2000-2002) in the research area Mathematics, Computer Science, Electric, Electronic and Mechanical Engineering.
- CNR (2000): research grant as a support to the activity for the project Study and development of a distributed multimedia environment for visual programming of Web applications, within the Progetto giovani ricercatori (young researchers project) funded by CNR (the Italian National Research Council).
Participation in Research Projects and Thematic Networks
- RS16MO09 (2016-2018): Enhancing E-Learning with Advanced Human-Computer Interaction Facilities (Italy-Serbia bilateral project).
- ETN-FETCH (2014-2016): FETCH European Thematic Network (Future Education and Training in Computing: How to Support Learning at Anytime Anywhere).
- SH.A.R.P. (2009-2012): European Project SH.A.R.P.: A platform for SHaring and Re/Presenting (initial consultancy).
- LivingKnowledge (2009-2012): European Project LivingKnowledge - Facts, Opinions and Bias in Time.
- ETN-TRICE (2008-2011): TRICE European Thematic Network (Teaching, Research, Innovation in Computing Education).
- PRIN (2007-2008): Italian PRIN project Ambienti intelligenti: interpretazione di eventi, riconfigurabilità sensoriale e interfacce multimodali (Ambient Intelligence: event analysis, sensor recofiguration and multimodal interfaces).
- FIRB (2006-2008): Italian FIRB project Infrastrutture e piattaforme real-time per ambienti di ricerca e e-learning collaborativo (Software and communication platforms for high-performance collaborative grid).
- eYES (2006-2007): European Project Creation of an e-learning interface for the blind and the visually impaired (initial consultancy).
- ETN-DEC (2004-2007): DEC European Thematic Network (Doctoral Education in Computing).
- PRIN (2004-2005): Italian PRIN project Metodologie di data mining per le applicazioni di e-business (Data Mining methods for e-business applications)
- ETN-ECET (2001-2004): ECET European Thematic Network (European Computing Education and Training).
- Chair of the IEEE IES Subcommittee on Computer Vision and Human-Machine Interaction in Industrial and Factory Automation for the 2016-2017 term (previously for the 2014-2015 term).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Advances in Human-Computer Interaction.
- Leader of the work package European Strategic Framework for Computing Education and Training 2020, within the FETCH European Thematic Network on Future Education and Training in Computing: How to Support Learning at Anytime Anywhere, 2013-2016.
- Italian leader of the Executive Programme for Scientific and Technological Cooperation between the Italian Republic and the Republic of Serbia for the Years 2016-18 (project RS16MO09, Enhancing E-Learning with Advanced Human-Computer Interaction Facilities).
- Since December 2014, vice president of the interdepartmental programs in Communication, Innovation, Multimedia (CIM) and Multimedia and Professional Communication (CPM) of the University of Pavia.
- Co-organizer of the special session Human Factors and System Design in Factory Automation within the 2017 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technologies (ICIT 2017, Toronto, Canada, March 22-25, 2017).
- Co-organizer of the special sessions Vision-Based Systems for Danger Detection and Human Sensing for Industrial Applications within the 14th and 13th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN 2016 and 2015, Poitiers, France, July 18-21, 2016, and Cambridge, United Kingdom, July 22-24, 2015).
- Co-chair of the track Telemedicine and E-health within the 2nd and 3rd IEEE International Conferences on Human-System Interaction (HSI 2009, Catania, Italy, May 21-23, 2009 and HSI 2010, Rzeszow, Poland, May 13-15, 2010).
- Organizer of the special session Vision-based perceptive interfaces for PC interaction within the 11th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 22-27 July 2005.
- Since May 2013, web representative for the Department of Electrical, Computer and Biomedical Engineering (Dipartimento di Ingegneria Industriale e dell'Informazione), University of Pavia.
I have taught several topics in many courses (with different roles) since 1998. See the Teaching section for detailed information.